Our fellowship-trained and board-certified pediatric orthopedic doctors are known throughout Georgia and the Southeast for their specialized knowledge and training to assess, diagnose, and treat a wide variety of elbow, hand, shoulder, and wrist injuries and conditions in patients of all ages.
Much like sports medicine, pediatric orthopedics is a specialized area of medicine in orthopedics that is dedicated to the study and treatment of bones, joints, and muscles in a growing child. Orthopedic surgeons can undergo additional education and training within this specific area of orthopedics to be skilled in using many techniques, including observation of growth, physical therapy, braces, splints, and occasionally surgery, to treat various conditions.
At The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia, our focus, experience, and training give us the expertise and skill in treating only the musculoskeletal issues and disorders of the upper extremity in our pediatric patients. From a simple injury to a complex condition, we can assess, diagnose, and provide treatment for several adolescent injuries and conditions including the following common ailments. Click on the links below to learn more about each condition.
Know When It’s Time to See a Pediatric Orthopedic Doctor
If you think your child's pain may be due to a bone, joint, or muscle injury or condition or if they are experiencing any of the symptoms described below, you should contact a medical doctor or hospital near you for treatment, which may include surgery:
- Limited range of motion in the affected joint or joints
- Muscle and joint stiffness in the affected area
- Pain or discomfort when trying to perform a specific sport
- Popping or snapping sensation near the affected joint
- Severe pain that keeps your child awake at night
- Swelling in the affected joints
You should also see a physician or surgeon if your child has a fever or if their skin reddens, becomes warmer, and/or becomes more sensitive since they could have an infection that could have prolonged effects on their health.
Specialized Care You Can Trust
At The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia, our pediatric orthopedic doctors take a team approach in assessing, diagnosing, and treating our young patients. From newborns with congenital differences to teenagers with sports injuries, our fellowship-trained and board-certified specialists at The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia are knowledgeable upper extremity specialists with focused specialty training in pediatric orthopedic injuries and conditions affecting the elbows, hands, shoulders, and wrists. With this advanced training and extensive knowledge, you can be confident that our specialists will treat your child's individual needs with the highest level of expertise.
Our orthopedic specialists are skilled in delivering a wide range of nonsurgical treatments and surgical procedures and techniques for a number of conditions and injuries, including:
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections
- Steroid injections
- Tendon transfers
To schedule an appointment with an orthopedic expert at The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia, you may use our My Choice resource to help select the right specialist for your child and request an appointment online or call (404) 255-0226 for an appointment at one of our convenient locations in Atlanta, Alpharetta, and Cumming.
For additional information or to learn more about our practice, our expert providers, and the variety of conditions treated at The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia, we invite you to review our patient education resources or use the quick links below.
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery: Harvard Medical School/Brigham & Women’s Hospital, Boston Children’s Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA. Tetraplegia Hand and Upper Extremity Restoration: Case Western Reserve University – MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- Hand Surgery: Philadelphia Hand Center/Thomas Jefferson University and Shriners Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, PA Pediatric Hand Surgery: Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite Hospital, Atlanta, GA