Sports Medicine & Arthroscopy Doctor
Our fellowship-trained and board-certified orthopedic sports medicine physicians are known throughout Georgia and the Southeast for their specialized knowledge and training to assess, diagnose, and treat a wide variety of sports-related injuries and conditions of the upper extremity in patients of all ages.
Dedicated to the study, diagnosis, and treatment of sports-related injuries and conditions, a primary care sports medicine physician or sports medicine surgeon is many times also a board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopedist or orthopedic surgeon who went on to complete additional education and training for sports- and exercise-related injuries and conditions of the musculoskeletal system.
At The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia, our focus, experience, and training give us the expertise and skill to practice exceptional medicine and care for elbow, hand, shoulder, and wrist injuries and conditions for adults as well as children. From a simple injury to a complex condition, we can assess, diagnose, and provide treatment for several injuries and conditions that relate to sports medicine including the following common ailments. Click on the links below to learn more about each condition.
Know When It’s Time to See a Sports Medicine Physician
If you think your pain may be due to athletic injuries or conditions or if you are experiencing any of the symptoms described below, you should contact a doctor near you for treatment, which may include surgery:
- Limited range of motion in the affected joint or joints
- Muscle and joint stiffness in the affected area
- Pain or discomfort when trying to perform a specific sport
- Popping or snapping sensation near the affected joint
- Severe pain that keeps you awake at night
- Swelling in the affected joints
You should also see a medical physician or surgeon if you have a fever or if your skin reddens, becomes warmer, and/or becomes more sensitive since you could have an infection that could have prolonged affects on your health.
Specialized Care You Can Trust
At The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia, our sports medicine doctors take a team approach in assessing, diagnosing, and treating our patient. From newborns with congenital differences and teenagers with sports injuries to adults with arthritis, our fellowship-trained and board-certified specialists at The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia are knowledgeable sports medicine specialists with focused specialty training in minimally invasive surgeries to return athletes and weekend warriors to play sooner. With this advanced training and extensive knowledge, you can be confident that our specialists will treat your individual needs with the highest level of expertise.
Our sports medicine specialists are skilled in delivering a wide range of nonsurgical treatments and surgical procedures and techniques for a number of conditions and injuries, including:
- Steroid injections
- Tendon transfers
To schedule an appointment with a sports medicine expert at The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia, you may use our My Choice resource to help select the right specialist for you and request an appointment online or call (404) 255-0226 for an appointment at one of our convenient locations in Atlanta, Alpharetta, and Cumming.
For additional information or to learn more about our practice, our expert providers, and the variety of conditions treated at The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia, we invite you to review our patient education resources or use the quick links below.
The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia and its doctors and staff are the official sports medicine providers for the following high schools, colleges and universities, and professional teams:
- Marist School
- Mount Vernon Presbyterian School
- Hand and Microvascular Surgery: Indiana Hand to Shoulder Center, Indianapolis, IN
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery: Harvard Medical School/Brigham & Women’s Hospital, Boston Children’s Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA. Tetraplegia Hand and Upper Extremity Restoration: Case Western Reserve University – MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery: Harvard Medical School/Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston Children’s Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Upper Extremity and Microsurgery: The Philadelphia Hand Center and Shriner’s Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, PA
- Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery: Harvard Medical School/Brigham & Women’s Hospital, Boston Children’s Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA