Shoulder pain and injuries are common in many different sports requiring repetitive motions, such as baseball, volleyball, and swimming. However, shoulder pain is also common outside of sports because of the workout our shoulders get when completing everyday tasks as well as the wear and tear that happens over time. Some of the most common sources of pain in the shoulder include the following:
- Frozen shoulder
- Rotator cuff damage
- Tendon inflammation or damage
Prevention and smart practices are your best tools for keeping your shoulders healthy and pain-free. Here are some tips for avoiding injuries and pain in your shoulders:
- Don’t overdo it. Listen to your body, and do not ignore shoulder soreness during or after any activity.
- Stay in shape. Regular exercise and a healthy diet will keep your body in good shape and help you to avoid injuries.
- Use smart exercise practices.
- Warm up before working out.
- Ease into sports or activities if they are new or if you are revisiting them after a break.
- Use the proper form when exercising and lifting weights, and do not lift too much.
- Take care at work.
- Practice good posture while sitting or standing.
- Lift properly, keeping your back straight and using your legs.
- Take a few minutes every hour to stretch and move around.
- Set up your work station for proper computer use and good habits.
If you are experiencing shoulder discomfort or pain, it is important to receive a proper diagnosis for the cause of the pain as well as to find the treatment plan right for you. To consult with the shoulder doctor at The Hand & Upper Extremity Center of Georgia, call (404) 238-7280 or click here to request an appointment online.